Alumni of the Governor's School's Drama Program move on to prestigious programs at The Juilliard School, the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Guthrie Theatre Actor Training Program, Carnegie Mellon, Southern Methodist University, and the Royal Academy for Dramatic Art, among others. Graduates perform in major motion pictures, on television and Broadway stages, and in regional theatres throughout America.
- Katie Atkinson (2010) became the Corporate Giving Manager at the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, D.C.
- Travis Ballenger (2004) was appointed Associate Producer of The Drama League, NYC.
- Liza Bennett (2006) has been a recurring character on CBS’s Elementary and NBC’s Chicago Fire. She also appeared in 12 Years a Slave and The Free State of Jones, starring Matthew McConaughey.
- Nicole Beharie (2003) finished her work as lead of Fox’s Sleepy Hollow and will appear in the upcoming remake of the film, Jacob’s Ladder.
- Danielle Brooks (2007) received a Tony Award nomination for her performance as Sofie in the Broadway revival of The Color Purple. She has also appeared as the beloved character Taystee in the Netflix original series Orange Is The New Black and in Aziz Azari’s Master of None.
- Brandon Hall (2011) graduated from The Juilliard School in 2015 and has appeared in Unforgettable, Broad City, and Rookie. Most recently, Brandon has been cast as a series regular in the new TBS comedy Search Party, and played the Mayor of New York City in ABC’s The Mayor, produced by Hamilton’s Daveed Diggs. Brandon will be acting in several films to be released in 2018 including God Friended Me, Monster Party, and The Airport Run.
- Susan Heyward (2001) played a recurring character in the HBO series Vinyl and a lead in Sony Playstation’s first original series, Powers. She appeared in The Purple Lights of Joppa, Illinois, a new drama written and directed by Pulitzer Prize finalist Adam Rapp. Susan is now in the Broadway smash hit, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and can be seen on season six of Orange is the New Black.
- Wonza Johnson (2012) has been cast in the National Tour of Broadway’s Hamilton, and will understudy the title role.
- Patina Miller (2002), Tony Award winner for her lead turn in Pippin, portrayed Commander Paylor in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Parts 1 and 2, and press coordinator Daisy Grant in the second season of CBS’s Madam Secretary. She currently stars in the PBS Drama, Mercy Street.
- Teyonah Parris (2005) played the lead in the Amazon film, Chi Raq, directed by Spike Lee. She spent fours seasons in a regular role on the Starz series Survivor’s Remorse.
- Andrew Pastides (2002) appeared in the Magic Theatre (San Francisco) production of Sam Shepard’s Fool for Love, the first actor to play the role there since Ed Harris originated it.
- Jacob Perkins (2007) won the Emerging Playwrights Contest for his play The Third Rail. He was also accepted as a member of the 2016 Project Playwrights Group.
- John Reese (2006) was accepted into the prestigious Yale School of Drama MFA Acting program with a full-scholarship shortly after finishing a run of A Taste of Honey at the Pearl Theatre (NYC).
- Grace Ann Roberts (2012) is a Humanities Program Assistant at the Folger Theatre, Washington, D.C.
- Wrenn Schmidt (2001) has appeared in such films as 13 Hours, and I Saw The Light, alongside Tom Hiddleston, as well as in the FX series The Americans, and is a series regular in Outcast. She now appears alongside Jeff Daniels as a regular on Hulu’s The Looming Tower.