Connecting Creative Minds
The Governor's School Teacher Retreat Series is one of the school’s most sought-after professional development opportunities. Hosted collaboratively between the Office of Outreach and the Office of Arts and Academics, these two-day intensives provide high-quality, hands-on experiences designed to support educators in the arts in an environment of artistic excellence.
- Fall 2022 - Drama: Movement and Improvisation
November 18-19, 2022 with SCGSAH Drama Faculty Ebony Mills and Anne Tromsness. Learn more.
- Spring 2023 - Dance: Grand Jeté
March 25 - 26, 2023 with Alisa Caldwell (SCGSAH Faculty), Elisabeth Boyle (SCGSAH Faculty), Stephen Pier (The Hartt School at University of Hartford), Amanda Ling (Columbia College), and Michael Blake (University of Missouri - Kansas City). Learn more.
After interviewing and surveying numerous teachers over the past few years, we determined three things:
- Teachers in the arts need opportunities to network within their field.
- Teachers in the arts are not always provided the appropriate funding to attend the opportunities that do exist.
- Teachers in the arts are, at the core, artists, and need opportunities to perfect their craft in order to maintain a level of high competency in the classroom.
The Governor's School's professional development retreat model was created to directly impact these findings. Thanks to grants from the Arts and Basic Curriculum Project through the SC Arts Commission, teachers are provided a cost-free, high-quality opportunity to cultivate their craft as well as their pedagogical skills in an environment of peer-based growth and support. Hotel and meal accommodations are provided. A $50 deposit is require to secure reservations and deposits are returned upon successful program completion.
To stay up to date and be notified for future professional learning events, sign up for our Outreach newsletter.