Young writers learn the value of craft and sound writing techniques from experienced, published authors.
Developed by professional writers, the Creative Writing program is intensive and highly challenging to ensure talent development and productivity. During their two years in the Creative Writing program, students will create short stories, poems, personal essays, and movie scripts.
The program attracts the finest young writers in South Carolina by offering a creative, supportive atmosphere and a course of study supervised by practicing, published writers.
Creative Nonfiction | Fiction | Poetry | Screenwriting
Creative Writing students spend their time in small, collaborative sessions where they are constantly reading, writing, editing, and critiquing works under the guidance of practicing writers/mentors. Several times during the school year, students have the opportunity to meet with nationally-known, visiting writers.
Creative writers give two public readings a year and submit their work to a variety of state, regional and national competitions for additional critique, publication, and awards.
- 12 students have received $10,000 Portfolio Awards in the national Scholastic Writing Competition.
- 9 writers have been named U.S. Presidential Scholars in the Arts, an annual honor bestowed on only 20 high school seniors nationally.
- In the past decade, 32 Governor’s School writers were recognized as YoungArts National Finalists.
- In 2017, a Governor’s School writer received the prestigious Thomas Wolfe Scholarship from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
- Guest artists in the Creative Writing department have included an Oscar winner, a Tony winner, a National Book Award winner and a Pulitzer Prize winner.
How to Apply & Audition
Students apply in 10th grade to attend our school in 11th & 12th grade. An online application process, which includes demographic and arts information, must be completed to be considered for admission. The online application portal will be used to request recommendations and upload other required materials.
Creative Writing applicants are required to upload a writing portfolio and essay to the application portal. Only select applicants will be invited to audition.
- View the Essay & Portfolio Guidelines
- Check out our Suggested Reading List