Campus Life Q&A

Are students allowed to have visitors?

During the residential high school, visitors are allowed to visit campus during designated times, but only same-gender immediate family members are allowed to visit individual residential hall rooms. Overnight visitors are not allowed. During summer programs, visitors are permitted during the family morning and for performances.

Will I be able to drive if I come to the Governor’s School?

Students are not allowed to bring their vehicles to campus. Transportation is provided for local medical appointments, field trips, recreational, and educational activities. Students may also leave campus with adults on the approved list of drivers provided by parents/guardians.

What are residence hall rooms like?

All rooms are made to accommodate two students. Each suite encompasses two bedrooms sharing one bathroom. Bedrooms are furnished with a standard twin bed, student desk, desk chair, and dresser for each student.

How are roommates assigned?

Students in the residential high school have the opportunity to request a roommate soon after acceptance. Students who do not request a roommate complete a brief questionnaire indicating living habits from which staff members make pairings. Staff members understand that roommate compatibility is an important factor in making the adjustment to living in a residential school setting. Summer programs students are assigned roommates.

Can I pay extra and have a room to myself?

Due to the collaborative nature of the school community, all students are expected to have a roommate.

Does the Governor’s School have sports teams?

The school does not field interscholastic teams, however, many athletic opportunities exist, however, including a well-equipped fitness center and activities such as dodgeball, volleyball, basketball,and running.

If my child needs extra assistance in classes, are tutors available and what is the cost?

National Honor Society students volunteer as tutors for their classmates. These tutors are pre-approved by faculty members. Tutors are available for a variety of classes at no charge.

Where can my child do laundry, and how much does it cost?

Laundry facilities are available in the residence hall at a minimal cost.

Social Life Q&A

What are student curfew times?

Juniors and seniors must be on campus at 9:00pm each evening. Sophomores must return by 8:00pm. Sunday through Thursday students must be in their rooms by 10:30pm, and by 11:30pm on Friday and Saturday. Curfews during summer programs vary with each program.

What activities are available to students?

A variety of recreational activities for students occur both on and off campus, including guest speakers and presenters, museum visits, movies, athletic activities, and dances. There is also a fully-equipped fitness center which is available to all students during the week.

Where do students hang out on campus?

Students often gather in the recreation room of the residence hall, which is furnished with a large screen TV, pool tables, microwave, and vending machines. The library is also a popular gathering spot for study and group work.

Will students have the opportunity to see other students' artwork and shows?

Students are encouraged to attend performances and events of different art areas. Events are publicized in a variety of ways, including a weekly bulletin for students and parents, a master calendar, e-mail reminders, and posters.

Can my child leave campus overnight?

Yes, with parent/guardian permission students may leave campus overnight during weekends. Students should consult departmental requirements in making plans. During summer programs, students are expected to remain in residence for the duration of their program.

How often can my child come home?

Extended weekends during which the school is closed afford students a chance to go home, rest, and relax. Students may leave campus at other times as departmental schedules allow. During summer programs, students are expected to remain in residence for the duration of their program.

Do staff members live in the residence hall?

There is a professional residential life coordinator (RLC) for each hall community. RLCs are full-time staff members who have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and have experience working with youth or in the field of student services.

Who do I contact if I am concerned about my child?

For academic issues, parents are encouraged to first contact the individual teacher. All faculty members can be reached by e-mail or telephone. For student life concerns, parents are encouraged to begin with their student’s residential life coordinator.

Will someone be available to help my son/daughter with time management issues?

Faculty and staff work to ensure that any student issues are addressed and appropriate success strategies are implemented. The health and wellness counselor is a great resource in these areas.

 Safety Q&A

How do you keep students safe?

Safety and security is a top priority of the faculty and staff. Security officers are on campus at all times. Other measures include emergency call boxes located throughout campus and perimeter cameras. Learn more about Public Safety.

Are students allowed to leave campus alone?

Students must sign out to go off campus. Juniors and seniors must be accompanied by at least one other student and sophomores must travel in groups of three or more. During summer programs, students may only leave campus for school-coordinated trips.

Medical Q&A

Who do I talk to if I am concerned about my child’s health?

The student life staff includes a variety of professionals available to address any health concerns that students may have including a registered nurse, health and wellness counselor, and licensed professional counselor.

What happens if my child is sick?

Students should report any illness or injury to the school nurse or in the absence of the nurse to a member of the student life staff. Parents will be notified and doctor’s appointments will be made if necessary. Students will be excused from class by the nurse if necessary.

Will my child be treated in my absence since I am so far away?

Yes, permission for treatment in the case of illness or emergency must be on file prior to enrollment. Parents are consulted about their child’s care.